Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Restaurant Review: Ruyi in Lexington

One of my occasional problems is buying too many online deals for dining out.  I do not plan my time for these as well as I would like, and I end up with vouchers that I can't really use.  I was facing this problem with my second voucher for Ruyi, so last week I went there for lunch during one of my less busy days.

I was able to park on the street quite close to the restaurant.  Parking, by the way, is considerably cheaper than street parking in Boston, Cambridge or Somerville, though not quite as cheap as in Medford.  I walked into the establishment and found it mostly empty.  This is more likely in places outside of easy train reach, but it was still disheartening as I like the place.

I sat at the grill for some Japanese steakhouse food.  I started with the onion soup (tasty) and a green salad with ginger dressing (also tasty).  The show after the introduction was short but sweet, with the chef displaying considerable knife skills.  Lunch does not include shrimp, but as I don't eat shrimp I didn't miss it.  It does include grilled vegetables, rice and some sort of animal-based protein.  I paid a bit extra ($2) to have vegetable fried rice and a little more (another $2) to have two sources of protein: sirloin steak and tuna steak.  The vegetables went very well with the rice, and both the sirloin and the tuna were quite enjoyable even if a little saltier than my diet would strictly allow for.

Ruyi serves a variety of styles, from sushi bar to Japanese steakhouse to Chinese Cantonese-style cuisine.  Prices are reasonable, with most steakhouse suppers coming in under $25 and Cantonese entrees generally in the $8-$12 range.  It's a fine place for lunch or supper, and there's some excellent ice cream right down the street.  If you have a car, or you have the time to ride the bus there and back, I suggest heading over there some day for a nice supper.  It's closer to "nice date" range than "regular eats" range, but it is well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment