Monday, December 12, 2011

Homemade spaghetti sauce

When I make spaghetti sauce at home I usually use canned tomatoes.  They are convenient, they are fast, they are economical, and the right kind of canned tomatoes can be tasty.  In some cases they can be tastier than fresh tomatoes, because usually fresh tomatoes are picked before they are fully ripe and allowed to ripen on the way to your grocery store.

However, a couple of days ago I was shopping in my local farm-stand market, Rosebud in Malden MA, and I saw both plum tomatoes and some yellow tomatoes.  I decided I wanted to make my own sauce with fresh ingredients, so I got the tomatoes and a bunch of fresh basil -- all very reasonably priced, I should add.  They don't sell organic vegetables and herbs, but they have what my British friends would call "good fresh veg."

Tonight I got my chance.  I took my tomatoes and skinned them, using a short boil followed by an ice bath.  I had some caramelized onions ready to go.  I chopped up four washed crimini mushroom caps, cooked in extra virgin olive oil.  The fresh basil leaves were put in whole if they were small, chopped in a chiffonade for the bigger leaves.  I put in some roasted garlic and chopped up a couple of ready roasted peppers.  A sprinkle of Kosher salt and some grinds of fresh black pepper were the final touches.  Right now the kit and caboodle is simmering in my medium skillet, covered, on low heat.  I'm giving it a stir every so often, and it smells very very nice.

I am unsure if I'll use a stick blender to make it less chunky later.  Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment